2 Peter 1:1-11
How can we be SURE (or more sure) of our salvation?
I. By knowing a deeper assurance is attainable –
1. An assurance that is strong during fierce trial – Job 19:25-26
NKJ Job 19:25 For I know that my Redeemer lives, And He shall stand at last on the earth; 26 And after my skin is destroyed, this I know, That in my flesh I shall see God,
2. An assurance that walks with no fear of death – Psalm 23:4
NKJ Psalm 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
3. An assurance that “keeps” us in all situations – Isaiah 26:3
NKJ Isaiah 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.
4. An assurance that is always confident in God’s great love – Romans 8:38-39
NKJ Romans 8:38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
5. An assurance that counts heaven a solid reality – 2 Corinthians 5:1; 1 John 3:14
NKJ 2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
NKJ 1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.
6. An assurance that depends upon Christ – 2 Timothy 1:12
NKJ 2 Timothy 1:12 For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.
7. It is a full assurance in the mind – Colossians 2:2
NKJ Colossians 2:2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ,
8. It is a full assurance of faith – Hebrews 10:22
NKJ Hebrews 10:22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
9. It is a full assurance of Hope – Hebrews 6:11
NKJ Hebrews 6:11 And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end,
10. It is an assurance that looks every way with confidence – 2 Timothy 4:6-8
NKJ 2 Timothy 4:6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.
II. By following scriptural instruction about assurance –
1. Know God has given us all we need, even wonderful promises - :3-4
2. Giving all diligence, add to faith, virtue - :5 courage, convictions
3. To virtue knowledge - :6 Sound biblical knowledge and doctrine you can have strong convictions and be wrong
4. To knowledge self-control - :6 temperance
5. To self control perseverance - :6 patience discipline continuing on
6. To perseverance godliness - :6 God centered in your walk with God … to God be the glory
7. To godliness brotherly kindness - :7 phileo – a because of kind of love
8. To brotherly kindness love - :7 LOVE ---
NKJ Matthew 5:44 "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 "that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 "For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 "And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 "Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.
III. By knowing that faithfulness will pay off –
We have good motives for keeping on track:
1. We will stay fruitful, productive - :8
2. We will avoid the pitfalls which characterize false believers - :9
3. We will never stumble - :10
4. We will be welcome in Heaven - :11
This page hosted by Yahoo Geocities