1. Defined - True and Eternal Happiness / God's Favor
2. Sought After - Something we all should attain to
3. Often Missed - Driving illustration / Rom. 7 / Gal. 5
What we learn from the Psalm: WHAT ARE THE DISTINGUISHING CHARECTERISTICS OF A TRULY
AND ETERNALLY HAPPY MAN!
The world gives us it's ideas - He drinks Coke or Pepsi/
Drives a Cadillac or a Lexus / He has lots of money /
He has respect of men / He has the hearts of beautiful women .....
ACCORDING TO GOD'S WORD THE GODLY MAN IS DISTINGUISHED BY:
I. HIS COMMITTMENT TO THE WORD OF GOD!
1. He is known negatively by the associations he avoids 1:1
2. He is known positively (not by his associations)
He is not said to: walk in the counsel of the godly
Stand in the way of saints
Sit in the pew of the faithful Church goer
But by His delight is in the Law of the LORD
He is one who is willing to make a lonely stand, even when
all the church is wrong:
We have David standing against Goliath, when all Israel cowers!
Athanasius standing for the deity of Christ, when all the world was willing to run with heresy!
We have Martin Luther standing for faith alone, grace alone, God's word alone when the powers of the Roman
Catholic Church are aligned against him!
3. How do we attain to such delight in God's word?
Realize it's value: Psalm 19:10
Realize it's necessity: Matthew 4:4
Fight against the flesh: 1 Cor. 9:24-27
II. HIS CONDITION IN THE SIGHT OF GOD!
I say in the Sight of God because many misconstrue these verses to refer to worldly health and prosperity -
I once knew a man who believed the millenium would be a time when only Christians would win the lottery!
1. Like a tree - strong and stable, full of life
2. Planted - cultivated, cared for - John 15
3. By the Rivers of water - Providentially placed in positions conducive to spiritual growth / Christlikeness
4. Fruitful - fruit of the spirit / fruit of spiritual success
5. Leaf does not wither - stands beautiful even in difficult times James 1:2-5; Rom. 8:28-29
6. Ungodly like chaff - dry, lifeless, blown by the wind, worthless, and uncared for by God!
III. HIS CONQUEST BY THE GRACE OF GOD!
The LORD knows the way of the righteous
1. "knows" an intimate knowledge - Adam "knew" his wife Eve
2. This knowledge implies that God is with him in all he does, the LORD is his bannner, God fights for him is on His side - Exodus 17:8-16; Romans 8:31
3. Opposite of Rom. 8:31 also applies - if God be against us, who or what can be for us?