“O Taste and See: The Adventure of Discovering God’s Goodness”
Ver. 8. The taste and see invite, as it were, to a sumptuous feast, which
has long been ready; to a rich sight openly exposed to view.
The imperatives are in reality not oratory but persuasive. E. W. Hengstenberg.
I. O Taste and See – Invites us to a wondrous feast, a pleasurable delight!
1. God Himself as our Portion is indescribably delicious / wonderful – John 17:3; Psalm 16:5-6
2. Even ordinary foods are hard to describe with words, they have to be tasted --- so much more the depths of God’s grace and love – 1 Corinthians 2:9-10; John 3:3; John 3:5; John 3:7-8
3. Spiritual things require a spiritually cultivated appetite, consider John 6 -
A. The people were hungry – John 6:24-27
B. Jesus would redirect their appetites to Himself – John 6:31-35
C. They could not see this – John 6:52; 6:60-66 because they lacked the Spirit – John 6:63
D. Yet, the 12 (more properly 11) did – John 6:67-71
4. God is NOT Boring – John 6:68
shine make ´em wonder what you´ve got make ´em wish that they were not on the outside looking bored shine let it shine before all men let´em see good works, and then let ´em glorify the Lord – The Newsboys / Steve Taylor
II. O Taste and See – invites us to something Needful – Matthew 4:4
1. We cannot live without it – Matthew 4:4
2. We need a balanced diets of EVERY WORD that proceeds from the mouth of God – Matthew 4:4
A. Jesus Christ should be our main course – John 6:35
B. Yet, we should neglect nothing – 2 Timothy 3:16-17
C. God’s word even tells us about motherhood – Exodus 20:12; Psalm 127:3; Genesis 1:28
3. We need our spiritual Wheaties for our spiritual Health and Vitality – Daniel 11:32
4. We NEED our spiritual food even MORE than our physical food – John 6:27
How much time goes to each? How much money? How much effort? How much of our desire and delight?
Consider how much of our lives revolve around physical food:
A. Most of us eat two to three meals per day plus snacks
B. Many of us own stoves, ovens, microwaves, spoons, forks, blenders, dishes and a multitude of other cooking and eating utensils
C. I am not sure but I would not be surprised if there were more restaurants than churches in town
D. Many of us spend a good deal of time cooking and we are experts at it and there is nothing wrong with that! This is not a sermon against food or cooking or even restaurants but it is a sermon FOR GOD’s WORD – Jeremiah 15:16
1. We should indulge in the word more than once a day: reading, meditating, memorizing, studying, hearing, etc … etc…
2. We should have some spiritual tools / utensils for helping us with the Word – devotionals, commentaries, sermon outlines *SMILE*, sermon tapes, concordances –
3. We should take advantage of our spiritual restaurant(s) church services, Bible studies, WIC Meetings, Awana Meetings, Special Conferences, events
4. We can develop our own cooking skills --- preparing Bible Studies, family devotions, maybe even a sermon or a spiritual song!
NKJ Jeremiah 15:16 Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.
NKJ Matthew 4:4 But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.' "
NKJ John 6:55 "For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed.
NKJ 1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
NKJ 1 Peter 2:2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,
|Make a slideshow|
|A thank you by Smilebox|
Sign Guestbook View Guestbook
This page hosted by Yahoo Geocities